Sunday, October 10, 2010I live in a wooded area and had planned a while to distil the leaves of pine for essential oil. The weather cooperated this weekend to get back to distil.
For this distillation I had chosen the spruce. I took some branches of very young trees growing naturally in the forest. With a folding crate full of freshly cut branches I went to work.
|left and right spruce and pine|
After having stuffed the Alembic with freshly cut spruce branches distillation could begin. At a temperature of about 90 degrees Celsius (in the top of the alembic) the first drops came from the cooling bucket
As preparation for the distillation, I cut the branches into smaller pieces of mostly young twigs with needles.
Setting the cooling gave no problems and after more than two hours, I stopped distilling.At that point there was no oil left, and I had six bottles filled with hydrosol.The amount of spruce branches in the alembic was not weighed. So a exact yield was incalculable. What I know is that I filled the alambic with about 7 liters of spruce twigs and distilled about 7 mL of essential oil.